Florida Road Rage Collision Lawyers Whittel & Melton :: FHP Targeting Aggressive Motorists


The Florida Highway Patrol will be cracking down on aggressive truck and car drivers in the next few weeks.

From Feb. 27-29, state troopers will be ticketing drivers showing signs associated with road rage including following too closely, speeding and making unsafe lane changes. Community outreach, education and evaluation will be combined with ticketing in an effort to raise awareness throughout the state of Florida regarding safe driving practices.

FHP statistics show that drivers’ behavior can be blamed for 88 percent of traffic collisions. The remaining 12 percent of crashes are the result of vehicle defects, road conditions or inclement weather.

According to AAA, aggressive driving contributes to 56 percent of all motor vehicle collisions nationwide. Aggressive driving or road rage is reckless or negligent behavior that can lead to serious personal injuries or wrongful death. Road rage, which is fueled by anger, can refer to various unsafe driving maneuvers such as tailgating, failure to signal or yield, running stop signs or red lights, making unsafe lane changes, flashing headlights and traveling at high speeds.

The Florida Road Rage Lawyers at Whittel & Melton believe that no driver has the right to put the safety of others at risk by partaking in aggressive driving. Motorists that cause accidents by driving recklessly should be held accountable for the damage they have caused. We are committed to helping car accident victims who have been injured by the negligence of another. If you believe another person’s aggressive driving contributed to your auto accident, you may have grounds for a personal injury claim and be entitled to compensation for damages.

Road rage can be dangerous and deadly. Sometimes knowing how to react behind the wheel when faced with an aggressive driver can save your life. Should you find yourself the target of another’s road rage, follow these tips to optimize your safety:

• Do Not React. Remember, you cannot reason with someone with a poor temper. In fact, trying to may make matters worse. It is best to avoid eye contact with the angered party and remain levelheaded. Any form of retaliation can increase your risk for danger.

• Change Your Route. If you can, it is always best to remove yourself from a road rage incident by exiting the highway or whatever route you are on. If the driver attempts to follow you, act rationally and do not let yourself get distracted. Do not let yourself get angry or worked up because this could increase the chance of an accident or injury, and could harm others. If you must stop, make sure you do so in a public area where you can find help if needed.

• Call the Police. Road rage can end fatally, so if you find yourself sharing the road with an aggressive driver, contact the police immediately.

If you have been harmed in a road rage incident in Florida, contact the Florida Road Rage Collision Lawyers at the Law Offices of Whittel & Melton, LLC online or dial us statewide and toll-free at 1-866-608-5529.


Comments are closed.

Contact Information