A recent accident in Manatee County, FL where an Uber driver and a passenger were killed, and two other passengers in the rideshare vehicle were seriously injured, brings up the question of what to do if you are injured in an Uber or Lyft accident.
Our hearts go out to the victims and their families involved in this tragedy.
Just like regular car accidents, if an Uber or Lyft accident is caused by another driver, then they are typically legally on the hook for any accident-related damages. You can file a claim with the at-fault driver’s insurance, just as you could if you were involved in a similar accident while driving your own vehicle.
The situation can be further complicated if the responsible driver is under insured or uninsured, or if the accident is a hit and run. Uber and Lyft may provide coverage in these instances, but coverage limits can vary from state to state.
What Should You Do After an Uber or Lyft Accident in Florida?
If you have ever been in a car accident, you are aware of how frightening and unsettling the seconds that follow the collision can be. However, there are a few things that everyone should make sure to do right away after a collision. This is particularly crucial if you are in an accident involving an Uber or Lyft car because there are unique factors to consider when working with ridesharing services.
When possible, these are the steps you should take after an Uber or Lyft accident:
- Get immediate medical care for your injuries.
- Report the accident to the police.
- Obtain the contact details of the other drivers involved in the incident, as well as your driver.
- Get the ridesharing insurance information for your driver as well as the details of their individual policy.
- Stay at the scene until the police come, and make sure the accident report specifies that you were a passenger in the rideshare vehicle at the time of the collision. Request a copy of the report for your own records.
- Take photos of the accident scene, your injuries, and any damage done to all vehicles involved.
- Write down or recount your version of events to someone else who can record them right away. Our memories can fail us after car accidents, so you need to make note of what you remember to strengthen your claim.
- To prove that you were a rideshare passenger, take pictures of the area and screenshots of your app.
- Obtain any witnesses’ contact details.
- Speak with a lawyer familiar with rideshare accident cases. We can help – call us for a free consultation at 866-608-5529.
Do You Need a Lawyer for Your Uber or Lyft Car Accident Injury Case?
Compared to ordinary auto accident claims, rideshare insurance claims and personal injury and/or wrongful death lawsuits are more involved. Our Florida Rideshare Accident Lawyers at Whittel & Melton can help you understand who should be held accountable for your injuries or the death of a loved one. We can address your inquiries concerning responsibility and insurance coverage.
Rideshare companies, like Uber and Lyft, will have a team of lawyers in their corner. Having legal representation for your case will help you achieve the best result possible, especially if a death or serious injuries resulted from the accident.
Speaking with a personal injury lawyer with experience in Uber accidents is highly advised. They can support you through the court system, defend your rights, and make sure you get just compensation for your losses and injuries. Our Florida Rideshare Accident Injury Lawyers at Whittel & Melton can assist you in developing a compelling case as we are familiar with the intricacies of injuries and wrongful deaths that arise from rideshare accidents.
Keep in mind that every automobile accident is different, so the best approach to make sure you take the right steps after a collision is to speak with a legal expert.
Speak with our Florida Rideshare Accident Injury Lawyers at Whittel & Melton today if you have been harmed in an Uber or Lyft accident. We can protect your right to financial compensation for all your losses, including personal injury and wrongful death claims. Car accident claims may seem straightforward, but you might be surprised to learn how insurance providers frequently offer low payment amounts or reject valid claims entirely. Having an attorney experienced in these types of issues by your side is beneficial in such situations.
Our Uber and Lyft Accident Attorneys help Florida ridesharing accident victims in obtaining the full and fair compensation they are rightfully owed for a car accident that was not their fault. For a free case evaluation, call us now at 866-608-5529 or contact us online.