Dozens of people have fallen ill after a carbon monoxide leak at a Miami office building.
According to Miami-Dade Fire Rescue, high levels of carbon monoxide were found on the second floor Monday afternoon.
Miami-Dade Fire Rescue spokeswoman said several people were showing signs of carbon monoxide poisoning.
At least 17 people were taken to hospitals, while dozens more were treated at the scene and released.
About 80 people were sent home because they felt sick. Approximately 400 people work at the building.
Officials say the source of the leak came from the drains in the first floor bathrooms.
Reports indicate that an environmental assessment company has been contacted to ensure necessary repairs are made.
Carbon monoxide is a colorless, odorless gas by-product that interferes with the delivery of oxygen in the blood to the rest of the body. It is often referred to as the “silent killer.” This type of toxic exposure usually results in physical problems, neurological problems, and even death.
Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning are often confused with the flu or food poisoning. Depending on the amount inhaled, this gas can cause:
- Chest Pain
If you or someone you love has suffered injuries due to carbon monoxide poisoning, you should contact a Florida Injury Lawyer at Whittel & Melton right away at 866-608-5529. In order to recover damages, it must be demonstrated that the injured person was exposed to carbon monoxide, that the levels of carbon monoxide were high enough to cause physical injuries, and that the person did in fact suffer physical injuries from the poisoning. We use medical experts and toxicologists to assist with proof in these claims.
We can start working on your case immediately and begin gathering the necessary evidence to prove and win your case. Call us now at 561-367-8777 or contact us online for your free, no obligation case review.