Tropical Storm Vs. Hurricane Damage In Clearwater: Does It Make A Difference?


In most cases, it won’t make a difference whether your home or business was damaged in a tropical storm or a hurricane. The damage can be the same regardless of if it was caused by a hurricane or tropical storm.

Even though a hurricane can produce heavier rains and more intense wind and flooding, a property can still be damaged in a tropical storm, including wind, rain, mud, mold and debris. In fact, many insurance policies categorize windstorm coverage and flooding under the same cause of damage. However, every insurance policy is different, so it is imperative to review your policy and make sure you have appropriate coverage.

A hurricane and a tropical storm are both types of ┬átropical cyclones that spur thunderstorms and high winds. The only difference is in the intensity. A hurricane is the most powerful type of tropical cyclone with sustained winds of 74 mph or higher. What is important to highlight is that some damages caused by hurricanes is not always covered by a traditional homeowners’ insurance policy. Living in Florida, it is essential to understand how important insurance is when a hurricane or tropical storm barges through. While you should be covered by your insurance in the event of a tropical storm or a hurricane, sometimes insurance companies withhold payments or severely underpay for what is owed.

The Clearwater Hurricane & Storm Damage Claims Attorneys at Whittel & Melton can help to make sure you receive the full and fair compensation you deserve if your insurance claim was unfairly denied, delayed or underpaid. We will stop at nothing to recover what you deserve, whether through a negotiated settlement or trial.

If you need assistance with a hurricane or tropical storm insurance claim, please contact us online or call 727-823-0000 for a complimentary and strictly confidential consultation. We accept hurricane and storm damage claims on a contingency fee basis, meaning you will not owe us anything unless we obtain a financial settlement on your behalf.


Contact Information