Plant City, FL – A 6-year-old boy was struck by a car Monday afternoon just before 4:30 p.m. as he ran out into the street.
The child suffered a head injury. The boy is conscious, and authorities expect the child to be OK.
Police claim that the vehicle that struck the boy was not speeding at the time of the incident.
The accident took place on West Lowry Avenue in the neighborhood south of Reynolds Street, east of Woodrow Wilson Street.
Drivers must be on the lookout for children in the roadways at all times, especially near schools, residential areas, parks and bus stops. When motorists drive recklessly or become distracted, innocent children can be harmed. Sadly, the parents of nearly 630 children must mourn the loss of a child every year due to pedestrian motor vehicle accidents. An estimated 39,000 children suffer serious injuries each year in pedestrian accidents caused by negligent motorists.
If a child in your presence is struck by a car, you must know what to do in order to protect them from further harm. The following tips can help save a child’s life and make sure the careless driver is held accountable for their actions:
At the collision site:
• Never move a child that has been hit by an automobile. The child may have suffered serious and catastrophic injuries to the brain, neck, back or spinal cord, and moving them could result in further injury.
• If necessary, perform CPR.
• Dial 911.
• If the child is conscious, try and keep them awake and relaxed.
• Ask witnesses or bystanders to help get the at-fault driver’s information.
Following the accident:
• Once the child has been checked out by medical professionals and is safe, document exactly what you saw. Try and remember the details, as it is crucial for police and your attorney to have correct information.
• Keep any damaged clothing or personal items involved in the accident.
• Call a Tampa Child Injury Lawyer at Whittel & Melton – 813-221-3200.
If your son, daughter, niece, nephew or friend or neighbor’s child has been injured in a pedestrian motor vehicle accident, an Auto Accident Injury Attorney at Whittel & Melton can help you. We are equipped to handle car accident cases involving child injuries and wrongful death throughout the Tampa Bay area and everywhere in the state of Florida. Contact us today online or call our Tampa office at 813-221-3200 for a free consultation of your case. You can reach us statewide and toll-free at 866-608-5529.