Hoverboards, the popular gift of 2015 has been causing injuries all across South Florida this holiday season.
Hospitals in Broward, Miami-Dade and Palm Beach counties have seen at least 40 visits due to hoverboards. Injuries included broken and fractured wrists, as well as concussions.
Earlier this month, the scooters made headlines after reports of some catching fire. In one Boca Raton case, a woman told police her 11-year-old daughter was playing on the board when it started making popping sounds. It was on fire moments after the child jumped off, according to a report.
The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission has said it is investigating the fire hazard posed by the toy.
In most of the local cases, though, falls have been the number cause for injuries.
While some injuries have been more mild, others have been seriously harmed. A 10-year-old from the Hialeah area, had to be airlifted from Memorial Hospital Miramar to Joe DiMaggio Hospital in Hollywood for emergency surgery when his fall left his bone poking out from his skin – an open fracture.
The Hoverboard reportedly stalled as he was riding to his friend’s house and he fell.
The boy is expected to recover within three months.
The Hoverboard, a self-balancing electric scooter, was named the hottest holiday gift for 2015. In fact, to prove its popularity, on Cyber Monday one was sold every 12 seconds. Even though this gadget is a big hit among kids and adults, hoverboards have come under scrutiny due to serious safety concerns.
The U.S. National Association of State Fire Marshals and the National Trading Standards in the United Kingdom have both issued warnings to consumers that Hoverboards could potentially overheat, explode, or catch fire, mainly due to faulty charging mechanisms.